Monday, September 10, 2007

Los Olivos y La Vaca de Delphina

On Sunday I managed to make it out to a new bouldering area called Los Olivos. Ironically, the area is right next to the house that I went to for the Santa Rosa fiesta. I just couldn't see the boulders down by the creek. The boulder is very steep and very hard; I loved it. There were a lot of local guys climbing there which made for some great spotting and a nice atmosphere. There was a woman washing some wool in the creek next to the boulder - pounding, stretching, and rinsing over and over again. It seemed odd to have all these men bouldering and this woman slaving away in the creek just 15 feet away. I wonder if it speaks to some of the gender roles. . . hmm.

Today after work I went to Huanchac with some essentials and some treats for Delphina. When I arrived people were surprised that a gringa was looking for her and inquired as to why. They told me that she would be in Huaraz until 6 that day; it was only 4:30. I climbed to the top of a boulder with my book and sat while large drops of rain fell from the clouds, briefly. It was lovely. I then went down and hung out with her three cows. Just after six I decided to hop on a taxi that was passing through. The woman in the taxi with me knew Delphina. I asked about her. The woman repeated that she chose not to have a husband. . . that she just never wanted one. I mentioned how it must make life a bit harder in some ways for her. The woman agreed. We laughed about how independent she is. On the ride we passed Delphina, walking up to the ridge with a big, heavy bundle of stuff, but I couldn't stop because the woman next to me was going to Huaraz and I don't think the taxi driver would have been fond of the idea of taking her back to Huanchac. I'll go back tomorrow.

No comments: