Saturday, September 8, 2007

La Sala de Emergencia y Escalando Con Cesar y Jaime

The hospital has been treating me well. I'm getting a ton of experience and was able to work in the ER for 12 hours on Thursday. One man was rolled in that day, no breathing and no pulse. They did CPR for about 40 minutes and then finally gave up. Pedro was only 54 years old. In the first ten minutes I was so hopeful. . . desperately watching the machine to see if his heart would start back up again. It was amazing see the dozen or so people working together to help him, taking turns doing CPR. It was hard to see his wife come in later that day to be confronted with the awful news. I think I may have felt sadder for her than I did for him. Despite so many differences in various cultures there so many similarities. . . hardship, death, smiles, love, play, saddness, laughter, friendship, family. I find we are more similar than we are different.

So I managed to deal with the inevitable. . . I had one awful night of stomach illness two nights ago. I spent the the majority of the day in bed yesterday. Last night Zarela (the woman who runs the hostel I am staying in) wanted me to come to the living room to introduce me to two local climbers, Jaime and Cesar. I staggered downstairs to meet them and was invited to go bouldering with them the following day. Today the three of us went climbing at an area only the locals know about. I don't think I could get back to the same place if I tried since these boulders are quite off the beaten path. The granite boulders were great despite being a bit spread out. I was a bit tired, not surprising given the day before, but I managed and it was fantastic. We plan to go to another place tomorrow that I've been wanting to check out, Los Olivos. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Nora Nickerson said...

Yes, the cycle of life with all of its facets affect us all in a profoundly similar way. Death. Maybe the biggest of all, huh? We stay behind and live until it is our turn to leave OUR loved ones. Live, that is the operative word. So you felt sadness for Pedro and his wife AND then joined new friends and played in the rocks. All beautiful. Life.