Sunday, August 26, 2007

Aqui en Huaraz!


Lima was mostly uneventful. The taxi ride to the hostal is about all the excitement I could take. Peruvians, especially in Lima, pay no attention to lanes or rules. We actually ran about 5 red lights (they weren´t even orange) and sped throughout tiny little streets where people had to run in order to avoid being flattened. I stayed in Miraflores in a nice hostal called Friend´s House and mostly practiced my Spanish and wandered around. It was interesting to be in the same town 5 years later, seeing some growth and changes.

I managed to get followed by a mysterious Peruvian when I was wandering around one of the outdoor malls there. It was a bit skectchy to say the least. I managed to lose him briefly after I descended two floors on an escalator (which he also did) and then I immediately when back up after I reached the bottom. I ducked into a little watering hole to get some vino and sure enough 5 minutes later he walked in and sat down next to me. After asking what his problem was and why he was following me, he explained that I looked like a friend of his from the UK and he wanted to make sure it wasn´t her. Un mentiroso (liar). I left after my glass of wine and made sure I didn´t have a tail before I left the safe atmosphere of the well policed mall.

Today I managed to make it out of chaotic Lima on an eight hour bus ride to Huaraz. The views were beautiful. Huaraz is an interesting city. The people seem kind and helpful and I enjoy the slightly slower pace here. Outdoorsy travelers are in full force but the city is spread out well so it doesn´t feel like tourist central which is refreshing. Tomorrow I go to the Clinica San Pablo and Hospital Regional in hopes of connecting with them and getting a volunteer position. I brought some resumes translated into Spanish so hopefully it will be enough to persuade them to let me work.

I´m staying in a quaint hostel called Jo´s place at the less busy end of town. It seems to have a friendly atmosphere with happy individuals. There was a large group of people playing volleyball in the courtyard this afternoon. It´s a welcoming atmosphere. More later.

6 comments:

Al Liu said...

You made it Beck! Looking forward to the stories in the days ahead! Love, Al

crafte said...

Hey Beck! Can't wait to hear more about what you're up to. Great hearing from you! Love, Emily

Unknown said...

Stay safe and have a wonderful time down there Beck!
Love, Mary

shannon said...

sketchy creepers following you around - yikes! peru looks beautiful, hope you get to check out some climbing soon.

Unknown said...

Bubby - Peru looks awesome but dont take any shit from the locals and look after yourself. Enjoy everyminute and keep the blogs updated. STAY SAFE FREAK love James xxxxx

Nora Nickerson said...

Bubby, So amazed at you. You know how to fly. . .pero cuidado, por favor cuidado little twerp. I think I'm more worried about the Mr. Witty de Peru than the sketchy creeper but ugghhhh to that too. Take good care! I love you! Your Mommy